16 July 2011

Qualifiers - Saturday July 16th

over the bar readers
Wicklow supporters
I'm disappointed with this week's draw in the qualifiers. All the matches set counties from the same province against each other. Weak! Kildare and Meath have already met in the provincial championship. The Limerick v. Waterford match is irrelevant as both sides have shown they are miles away from the top. Antrim v. Down should have the usual Ulster pace and physicality.

Still, this draw is a lost opportunity for the provinces to mix it up. Playing outside your province allows for additional pride and bragging rights. It also gives punters another layer of intrigue to their booze soaked ramblings. All is not lost though because the Wicklow v. Armagh replay has me considering a drive to Aughrim to scalp tickets...never thought I'd say that!

Limerick v. Waterford
I don't care about this one. Limerick played well against Offaly last week but 2011 has been a step backward for them. Waterford beat London and acted like they won an All-Ireland. Limerick +5

Antrim v. Down
I like this Antrim group. They play with heart. That said, Down have too much in the midfield and forwards for Antrim to handle. Down +4

Kildare v. Meath
I enjoy Kildare's style. They get up and down the pitch quickly, defend in swarms and shoot wildly. I'm not sure what I think of this Meath squad. Overall they're too much muscle and not enough skill. Cian Ward might have scored 4-3 last time out but I'm thinking Kildare. Kildare +2

Wicklow v. Armagh
Come on down to Aughrim for the big match....haha! I'm loving this one. And why can't Wicklow win? Armagh was the lucky one to get a draw last week. Wicklow +1

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want to know what you think! Please share.

ShareThis